Sunday, July 16, 2006

sunday thoughts: episode 1

Ha! I haven't posted on this here 'blog for like 2 or 3 weeks. Isn't that cool!?! I sure think it is. I'm going to share a few thoughts I've had today, and since today's Sunday, hopefully those thoughts will be more spiritual-like than normal. Actually, that's not a very good attitude. Thoughts should be consistently spiritual, although in reality Sunday does seem to give a good shot in the 'ol spiritual arm every week.

So this Sunday we had our second elders quorum presidency training meeting with Bro Johnson, the stake high council representative assigned to our ward. Bro Johnson is great, he has practical advice and a lot of experience in church leadership, and he seems to have a younger attitude and mentality than his age would suggest. I mean that as a compliment. Yeah. Today's lesson was about home teaching, and how to inspire people to do it, and how to organize it throughout the quorum. It's quite a daunting task taking a list of people, rather few of whom I'm familiar with, and with a couple other guys who don't know this list of people much better than I and matching home teachers to home teachees. How are you supposed to know who to put with whom? My dad says that's why you say a prayer before you begin. That seems like sound advice.

I also conducted elders quorum for the first time today. I have a feeling I didn't impress anybody. It's a good thing that's not the point, otherwise I would have failed. I got up in front of everyone and in my typically dry style enumerated the announcements and tried to get people to volunteer for passing the sacrament. That style of delivery works a lot better when I'm trying to tell a joke or a funny story. I don't know what I was thinking. When I do it again in a few weeks I'll try to look more like I actually have a pulse and less like a boring robot-without-a-cool-robot-voice.

Here's my spiritual thought for the day. I was reading through Elder McConkie's "A New Witness For the Articles of Faith" a few minutes ago and came across this: "... it is as though the Holy Ghost ... was broadcasting all truth throughout the whole universe all the time, using the light of Christ as the agency by which the message is delivered. But only those who attune their souls to the Holy Spirit receive the available revelation." When I read that I thought to myself, "I like that way of thinking about it." It's like all the answers are always there all the time, so the only thing keeping me from them is me. It's not like Heavenly Father is holding out on us. The message is out there if you'll just prepare yourself and then listen.

So I hope that if anyone ever reads this they'll like that thought. I'll see if I don't write again a couple more times this week. No promises, but it's just something I'd like to do.

No comments: