Wednesday, July 26, 2006

furious mine sweeping

I'm sad to say I've fallen victim to the entertainment juggernaut that is the Fox Network. Blast them for entertaining so well! I've said for years that all their non-animated shows are stupid and that American Idol is what's wrong with America, but they have finally ensnared me in their twisted web of pop culture. So. You. Think. You. Can. Dance. Those six words will spell my doom.

I think it has as much to do with my Mormonicity as anything else why I like that show. With (up to) 3 Mormons on the show I feel like it's my duty to call in each week and vote for them. Well, that and I really enjoy quality dancing.

I'm an extremely crappy dancer. I have great respect for anyone who 1) feels comfortable in front of people, putting themselves out on the line, potentially making a fool of themself and 2) can do that without actually making a fool of themself. Sometimes (well, actually a few times per day, every day) I have a lapse of judgment and spontaneously burst out dancing in public. I'll have some phat techno beat in my brain thumping away and my body just yearns to respond, to communicate that beat to the world. So it does. After a fraction of a second I remember I can't dance well, so I abort. Sheepishly. It's just one of those things I do.

My sister thinks it's funny I have listed as one of my favorite movies Elektra, and as one of my interests Jennifer Garner. Why is this funny? I'm intensely interested in Jennifer Garner and her welfare. Something like that. Actually I do like the movie Elektra a good deal. I think the idea of a deadly OCD ninja is hilarious. She could probably take on the ninja from askaninja.com pretty easily. He's all talk. Elektra kills. Frequently. Unnecessarily. Awesomely. The real reason I bring up the movie is that today I bought another copy of Elektra on DVD. Yes, I now own two copies of Elektra on DVD. The regular edition and the director's cut. I've yet to explore all the additional features and featurettes offered in the director's cut edition, but I'm sure I will not be disappointed. Hopefully the additional content contains many good shots of a deadly red-clad ninja-ess.

I've recently taken up Sudoku. Today I completed my first medium-level puzzle. I've ruined so many Sudoku puzzles it's embarrassing. And infuriating. Today was also the first time I completed a very easy-level puzzle the first time through without making any mistakes. It was a huge day for me and Sudoku.

Sudoku is not my first love, though. No, that distinction belongs to Minesweeper, the most perfect free videogame of all time. A bold claim, I know, but that's how I feel about it. Very few games can rival Minesweeper in terms of sheer clicking speed. I click hundreds and thousands of times each game. My bulging forearm muscles are not my only motivation for playing this amusement. No, its Siren's call comes from its frustrating blend of luck and skill, just like any good game. As fast as I am, and skilled at flagging the mines, it doesn't matter if I'm forced to randomly guess between two equally-likely mine sites. Where does the mine lay? Whenever I am forced to choose between two places, I pause. I hesitate. I know that I will quite likely lose this game of Minesweeper here and now. It's not possible to avoid this situation. Even the greatest Minesweepers must guess sometimes, and mostly they guess wrong. But oh, the times when no guessing is required, how sweet they are! Flying through the squares as onlookers look on in awe. Most people think that game is impossible and doesn't have actual rules it follows, so when someone is good at it it's all the more amazing.

All that is why I do what I do.

No comments: