Monday, April 18, 2011

moving back to diamond

I have a large backlog of unfinished video games. I'm more of a game collector than a game player. I'll buy a new game, play it for a few hours, and then ditch it. Last night, though, I actually "finished" a game I'd bought months ago. The game? Pokemon Soul Silver. Yeah, pretty nerdy, even for a video game.

The quotes around finished are there because I didn't actually exhaust everything I could do in Soul Silver. I only got the first 8 badges, beat the elite four, and got the second 8 badges (all 16 in the game in total). I didn't go back to the elite four for round 2, and I didn't fight Red (played by Kurtwood Smith, I think). I also didn't collect any of the legendaries, other than Lugia. A while ago I told myself that collecting the 16 badges would be enough to "beat" Soul Silver, so that's all I set my sights on.

So I'm pretty proud of myself. Not that beating any video game (especially a Pokemon game) is a big accomplishment, but that I didn't totally waste my money those many months ago when I bought the game.

This scratches one off the backlog list, but there are still a few I need to tackle. I'm just restarting Pokemon Diamond right now (which I also only made it a fraction of the way through), and other than that I'm going to knock out Final Fantasy 13 and Super Mario Galaxy (the first one). After I finish those 3 games, at least, then I will consider buying a new game. I just don't want to continually add to my collection without adding to my list of completed games.

1 comment:

Josef said...

I believe that "many months ago" is actually a year ago if you count.