Tuesday, April 19, 2011

today i bought zero video games

Today's Kind Of A Big Deal if you didn't already know. Two big games came out today: Mortal Kombat and Portal 2. I tried to come up with a clever title combining the two. While I did come up with it independently, I did a Google search and apparently I'm not the only person who thought "Portal Kombat" was clever. Over 99k other websites agree. Next I tried "Kortal Pombat" taking it one step further. This one only resulted in one Google hit, but that was still one too many for me. So instead I just gave this post a factually correct title. How nice.

Today I bought zero video games. I did not buy Mortal Kombat because I don't have a lot of interest in it. I think I can get everything out of it that I would ever need just by watching a couple YouTube videos or this. While the game looks comically brutal and entertaining to play with friends, the fighting system just doesn't look that interesting to me. It looks *too* similar to the old games (read "pre-MK3"). I'm afraid I've been conditioned by Capcom and MvC3 and every other game in the "vs"/X-men series before that to only like one kind of fighting game, and the new MK just isn't it. I think. I have to add that qualifier because I do not know that I don't enjoy it, and I probably will never find out for sure, so all I have to go on is what I guess.

I am interested in Portal 2, though. I see myself buying this game as soon as I have the spare change and I've cleared out a bit more of the aforementioned backlog of games. The big question about this game for me is this: will I be able to avoid spoilers until I am able to beat the game myself? I hope so. I'm not going to go to Markus Persson levels of net deprivation, rather I just hope (maybe futilely?)that I'm able to play it before I find out that Snape kills Dumbledore all over again. Speaking of which, I do not recall if I read Harry Potter 6 before I found out about that spoiler, or if I knew all along that was going to happen when I first read it. Either way I enjoyed the book and I'm certain I'll enjoy Portal 2.

So yeah, today I bought zero video games. I'm not sad about it. I'm still working on my backlog and doing school stuff. I'm actually kind of taking a small break from researching so that I can finish off a class project for the Last Class I Need To Graduate (you know the one, right?). I still have my research on my mind, but I'm just not doing anything about it other than writing down little notes here and there. Until next time.

BTW, I wrote this while listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTTrXAE7OPU

No comments: