Tuesday, March 15, 2011

tired of youtube

I'm not really tired of Youtube, but I am tired of my subscription list. I'm subscribed to about 45 Youtube channels, and only four or five of them produce any more content I'm interested in right now. Why don't I unsubscribe? For many of those channels it wouldn't make a bit of difference because they haven't produced content in years (or at least months). For others, I either recently became disinterested in their content, and my interest may wax again, so I'm keeping them on board for now.

There are a few channels that produce videos I'm very interested in watching, plus a bunch of garbage I don't care about. Examples of these include SSoHPKC and paulsoaresjr. SSoHPKC is a Chicago-area guy who plays lots and lots of videogames and talks while he goes. Most of the games he plays I don't care about at all, but he does play Super Mario World hacks, and treats those videos like a personal vlog (Mario hacks are fan-made games that use the SMW engine with custom art and/or level design). The Mario hack videos are great, but he also plays lots of FPS games and RPGs that I don't care for. paulsoaresjr plays a lot of Minecraft, with a few other games mixed in periodically, but many of his videos are of him playing the game with his family, which I just don't care about. He's much more interesting by himself. chuggaaconroy is another guy who has made video series in the past that I enjoyed, but I don't care much about the game he's working on now (Okami).

Anyway, here are the Youtube channels I'm currently digging on (and the types of videos that channel puts out):
motortrend (yes, the car magazine)
paulsoaresjr (video gameplay with commentary, especially Minecraft)
roadflytv (more car reviews, kinda like motortrend)
SeaNanners (some Minecraft, lots of Call of Duty, but mostly I just think he's an interesting guy to listen to)
SSoHPKC (video gameplay with commentary, many types of games but his Mario vlogs are the best)
Surelog (mostly Minecraft commentary and mod reviews, although he just announced that he's shifting his focus away from Minecraft, so we'll see)

And that's it. Most of my ~45 subscriptions go wasted by me either not caring about them (which I'll purge eventually if the trend continues), or stopped producing content years ago (lovethechad, whatever became of you!!!???). I've been subscribed to digitalfilmmaker for many years, and my reluctance to remove them from the list has paid off in recent months as they recently started posting "Ask a Ninja" videos again. Maybe that's why I'm reluctant to remove subscriptions, because I hope that they will revive themselves. I miss you Matty (I think that's his real name, although it's hard to know for sure)!

No comments: